Friday, June 5, 2009

Knitting 101


I thought I would be done knitting after my computer was fixed. Then I made this:


I call this the learning scarf. Because about half way through knitting it, I decided to just try out the stockinette stitch. In no particular order, I made several rows of the stockinette stitch, then went back to the knit stitch, and just pretty much did whatever I felt like. I am not very systematic.

Here is a closer look at each stitch:

The stockinette stitch is achieved by knitting one row, and then "purling" the next. The purl stitch is basically a knit stitch facing backward--both stitches are just loops, only when you purl, you push the loop through, rather than pulling it through (knit). The back of the stockinette stich reveals all of the bumpy "purls."

Mostly, I like to fold it up and look at my achievement, like so:

Then I thought I would give the "rib stitch" a whirl. This is knit with one skein of cotton yarn, dyed a buncha colors (so it looks like I am using more than one color of yarn. It's basically cheating):

I wanted to try it out on a solid, bright color. I chose orange...because it was on clearance. This yarn is polyester. The nice thing about the rib stitch is that it is s-t-r-e-t-c-h-y and therefore great for hats and things that might need a little room to stretch.
Aren't those hands the cutest hands ever?

This orange one is a work in progres, as I rarely have enough time on my hands to complete five rows in a single sitting. But, it is a nice way to relax by the pool and then laugh at the irony of knitting a scarf in 85 degree weather with 100% humidity. Knitting relaxes me, besides, I can plenty of family members up north that will receive scarves this year for Christmas. I think this is a great head start!

ps. if you are reading this and you are a family member that lives up north, just forget that last part.

1 comment:

  1. you are very good at knitting too. Have you ever tried hats before?

    ReplyDelete