Tuesday, May 26, 2009

{history}

I found a stream of photos on flickr from the Library of Congress that intrigued me so much that I had to share them here. I am highlighting two that really stuck with me for different reasons entirely. First, I want to say how much I admire the work of photographers that documented such times as the Great Depression and World War II. The feel of black and white film, the way expressions are captured, the details of life that are so foreign to us...it's all so emotional.

Above is a photo of an anonymous 32 year old mother of seven children. A destitute California peapicker, the look of desperation is so evident in her eyes. The next thing that strikes me is that her children are hiding from the camera. I wonder what became of them after this photo was taken, 73 years ago.

Next, a photo of a general store in Moundville, Alamaba taken in the summer of 1936. I recognized something immediately...let me know what hits you first!


Was it the cases of shotgun shells? For me, it was the Coca-Cola sign. I am utterly in awe of the Coca-Cola branding...the fact that is still recognizable in 2009...is just brilliant. (Note to self: quit changing logo and be more like the Coca-Cola company.)

To see the entire collection of photos from the Library of Congress, click here:
flickr

1 comment:

  1. I love these pictures. I am in wonder of what became of that Mother of seven. What a great picture. I too spotted the Coca Cola sign first but I think it's just because I'm addicted to Coke! LOL! Thanks for posting these awesome pics.

    ReplyDelete